In 1950 the Christian majority in America was over 90%, today. Today it is down to just 65%!
In a 2020 survey by the Pew Research Center, 65% of adults in the United States identified themselves as Christians. They were 75% in 2015 70.6% in 2014, 78% in 2012, 81.6% in 2001, and 85% in 1990. About 62% of those polled claim to be members of a church congregation.
The modern official motto of the United States of America, as established in a 1956 law signed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower, is “In God We Trust“.
9 out of 10 Americans surveyed in 1954 said they believed in the divinity of Jesus.Religion and American Culture: A Journal of Interpretation, Vol. 14, No. 1 (Winter 2004), pp. 109-147
The percentage of Americans who identified as Protestant literally was cut in half in just 70 years! It went from a high of 70% in 1948 to just 35% in 2021. That is a mind boggling decline. America was founded as a Protestant nation, built and laws established (including the Constitution) for a Protestant populace. The percentage of Catholic and Undesignated (no particular religious belief) both stand at 20% now.
If these rates of decline hold, the Protestant faith could become a minority faith within the next 50 to 70 years! This is shocking and it’s a disaster for Christendom in America. The Protestant faith alone, particularly the Reformed faith, holds to the Scriptural truths which made this country a great shining beacon on a hill as President Reagan said.
A reduction in the percentage of Americans who are Protestant will have a huge negative impact on Christian NGOs, missions, Christian publishing, Christian companies, Christian universities, and the there will be a lack of the positive impact that the Protestant faith has on the popular culture, media, education, entertainment, and the economy. The absence will send shock waves throughout these areas, as well as Christendom in general throughout the world.
Saints we need to repent as a nation and turn to Christ alone! Please pray for many Americans to repent, believe the Gospel, and trust in Christ alone for their salvation. We need millions to repent and turn to Christ. We need Protestant churches, seminaries, media, entertainment, academia, and businesses to promote large Protestant families.
We should have a higher birthrate than Satanic Muslims who have the highest birth rates in the world. It is a shame that so many Protestants have used sinful birth control methods to prevent a large number of children. Children are a blessing from the Lord!
If we are to reverse this devastating trend in the Protestant faith we need:
- Increased missions to our own local populaces who have become either pagan or schismatic (Catholic, Orthodox, etc.).
- Curriculum in our seminaries to change, to emphasize to future pastors and elders the critical function of having large families, and how to convey this to their churches.
- Increased homeschooling to save our precious Protestant children from the godless, debauched, and immoral public schools.
- Tax credits and other incentives which encourage large families.
- Protestant businesses to have initiatives to allow Protestant workers to have more time for their families, especially mothers when they have children, and pay Protestants with children more than they do workers who are childless.
- Protestant universities (undergraduate and graduate) to stress the importance of having large families, equipping their students to be able to successfully defend their faith in a hostile world.
- Local churches assisting couples with lots of children to a greater degree than they already are. This may mean increased giving from their members.
- More books being published highlighting the importance of children being raised in a home with a mother and father. Also promoting a large number of children.
- Congress passing laws which are family friendly and would aid in promoting and sustaining large families.
- Churches doing more to promote marriage, especially people marrying in their 20s and not 30s or 40s.
4 responses to “Christianity in America: The Decline of the Protestant Faith”
Which is built on the rock steadfast. But what is built on sand collapses,
Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS
Yes our country was founded by those who strongly believe in God and Christianity! Let’s never forget God and all that He has given to us! Our nation has to return to the church! May God be with us!
I think that is rather harsh. Yes, some build on sand whether Catholic, Orthodox, or Protestant. But the faithful remnant, the true Body of Christ remains! I wouldn’t dismiss all Orthodox believers as building on sand, even though I have major theological differences with them. So I think it’s uncharitable and unfair for you to dismiss all Protestant believers in America.